Welcome to the project website of HYCARUS “HYdrogen Cells for AiRborne USage”
HYCARUS is a European research project led by Zodiac Aerospace and financially supported by the Fuel Cells and Hydrogen Joint Undertaking. HYCARUS develops a Generic Fuel Cell System (GFCS) in order to power non-essential aircraft applications such as a galley in a commercial aircraft or to be used as a secondary power sources on-board business jets. Demonstration of GFCS performances in relevant and representative cabin environment (TRL 6) will be achieved through flight tests on-board a Dassault Falcon aircraft.
Launched in 2013, HYCARUS addresses the global concern of European airlines and business jet operators to find alternative sources to power non-propulsive aircraft systems in order to positively impact the environment and address future emission regulations.
The expertise of 10 partners from 5 European countries (France, Germany, Belgium, Spain and Czech Republic) is gathered by HYCARUS, including:
- Zodiac Aerospace – World leader in aerospace systems on board commercial, regional and business aircraft
- French Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission (CEA) – Fuel cell research organisation
- Dassault Aviation – World leader aircraft manufacturer
- Air Liquide Advanced Technologies – World leader in gases, technologies and services for Industry and Health
- National Institute for Aerospace Technology (INTA) and Joint Research Center-IET – Europe’s leading test facility organisations
- ARTTIC – European leader in collaborative R&D consultancy
The renowned experts will now join their strengths to develop and integrate an emission free, environmentally and economically friendly fuel cell system for airborne usage.
HYCARUS at a glance
- Starting Date: 1 May 2013
- Duration: 48 months
- Consortium: 10 partners, 5 countries
- Programme: Fuel Cells and Hydrogen Joint Undertaking
- Budget: 12 M€
- FCH JU contribution: 5,2 M€
About FCH JU
FCH JU is a unique public-private partnership composed of three members: The European Union represented by the European Commission, the European Industry represented by the NEW IG group and the scientific world represented by the N.ERGHY group.
For more information on the functioning of FCH JU, the Annual reports and other relevant documents, see the official FCH JU website. You can also refer directly to the members’ websites, NEW IG, N.ERGHY and European Commission.